HESI A2 FILES
HESI A2 FILES
English Grammar/Vocabulary File:
Grammar Test 1:
Select the word or phrase that makes the sentence grammatically correct.
1.	A tuberculin skin test should be read within 24 hrs.
2.	The student 	for the final exam.
a.	Didn¶t stXdied
b.	Was studying
c.	Studied hardly
d.	Would have study
3.	My mother and 	went shopping for clothes yesterday.
4.	She went to the party 	her dislike for the host.
b.	Even though
c.	Despite of
d.	In spite of
5.	The accident 	if the motorist had obeyed the speed limit sign.
a.	Never would have happened
b.	Never would happen
c.	Never happened
d.	Would happen never
6.	She was so mad at her boyfriend, she 	on him when he called.
b.	Hung Up
d.	Hang up
7.	 	are very ancient people.
a.	The chineses
c.	The Chinese
8.	If they 	that the Zeather Zas going to be so bad, the wouldnt have gone to the beach.
a.	Had known
b.	Were knowing
9.	John Kennedy was a senator before he 	President in 1960.
a.	Was electing
c.	Had elected
d.	Was elected
10.	It is required that he 	the payment immediately.
11.	He tried to remember that names of all the people 	were there that night.
12.A synonym is a word 	a meaning similar to another word.
a.	Who have
b.	That have
c.	Who is having
13.	After having robbed the bank, 	.
a.	The back president offered a reward for the thief.
b.	The thief¶s Zife became Yer nerYoXs.
c.	The police searched for the thief from many weeks.
d.	The thief hid at the house of a friend.
Select the word or phrase in the sentence that is not used correctly.
1)	After the policeman had ran for several miles, he finally caught up with the man who had stolen the purse.
a)	Had ran
b)	Several miles
d)	Up with
2)	The man’s heart attack scared him badly and he decided having a regular check-up from then on.
3)	Based on the principals of asepsis, the nurse should consider a sterile packet below waist level to be contaminated.
a)	To be
4)	I will call you when I will get back from visiting my sister.
d)	Will get
5)	Her mother asked her what would she do after she graduated from college.
6)	When you add sugar to it, your cup of coffee becomes not only sweet, also fattening.
d)	Cup of
7)	The sales man recommended that he keeps his receipt for at least a month.
d)	At least
Which of the following is incorrect? (8- 20)
8)	It seem like the sun never shines on Saturday.
9)	Of the many people what she interviewed; she chose the one with most experience.
d)	Of the
10)	Long before his death, Pablo Picasso had became one of the most important artists in history.
b)	Long before
c)	Had became
d)	The most
11)	The physician started to preform the operation, but the patient was not yet completely under anesthesia.
a)	Started to
c)	Was not
d)	Completely under
12)	Before his death at age 82, comedian Rodney Dangerfield’s motto was, I don’t get no respect. ́
13)	The mailperson’s job is to put the envelope’s in ever mailbox on the block.
14)	The charge nurse overheard the nursing assistant discussing the private details of a client medical condition with personnel friend in the hospital cafeteria.
15)	The car that he had seen at the Ford dealer was the one that he final decided to buy.
b)	Had seen
c)	To buy
16)	He had already finished studying at an university when he was called
to join the army.
a)	Was called
c)	Had already
17)	The nurse asked the patient to choose ate items from the menu that are his favorites.
a)	Ate items
b)	To choose
c)	His favorites
d)	That are
18)	He ate for pieces of fried chicken at dinner, and no vegetables.
19)	The most important things in my life are making money, traveling abroad, and to live well.
b)	To live
c)	The most
20)	It’s true that children depend in their parents for food, clothing and
21)	Identify the dependent clause in this sentence: The mother dog left her bed as soon as the puppies were asleep.
a)	As soon as the puppies were asleep
b)	Left her bed as soon as
c)	The puppies were asleep
d)	The mother dog left her bed
22)	Which sentence is grammatically correct?
a)	Somebody left his or her jacket on the train
b)	Several lost his or her keys on this train ride.
c)	Does everyone have their train tickets ready?
d)	Is everyone ready for their ice cream sundaes?
23)	Identify the incomplete sentence.
a)	He wept.
b)	Everything worked out all night.
c)	While they were sleeping.
d)	Babies are sure cute and cuddly.
24)	Which sentence is grammatically correct?
a)	The dog catches the Frisbee good.
b)	The band did good during the half time show.
c)	Sarah plays her new saxophone well.
d)	The band that played before ours was well.
25)	Select the sentence in which legal is used as an adjective.
a)	It is legal to were green on March 17th.
b)	He did not know that jaywalking was not legal.
c)	It is not legal to jaywalk
d)	He is a legal resident of the United States.
26)	What sentence should replace the following incorrect sentence? 3This door to remain unlocked when occupied. ́
a)	This door to remain unclosed while open.
b)	This office must have the door unlocked at all times.
c)	This door will remain unlocked when office is occupied.
d)	This sentence is correct as written.
27)	Which word is used incorrectly? Which procedure for giving injections were explained thoroughly to the student nurses.
28)	Which phrase should be moved to the end of the sentence? The painter decided to use the urn as his subject with flowers on the table.
a)	With flowers
b)	The urn
c)	The painter decided
d)	As his subject
29)	Select the sentence in which snake is used as a verb.
a)	The cobra is venomous snake.
b)	The spy had to snake his way furtively onto the train.
c)	The plumber used his snake to open up the clogged pipe.
d)	You are being a snake when you steal from me.
30)	Which sentence is grammatically correct?
a)	Gosh, I be odering a V-8!
b)	Gosh, I coulda had a V-8!
c)	Gosh, I could have had a V-8! (correct also)
d)	Gosh, I should have ordered a V-8!
31)	In which sentence is the form fast used as an adverb?
a)	The fast car drove over the bridge.
b)	The batter could not hit the fast pitch
c)	The clock on the wall is 10 minutes fast.
d)	The cars on the overpass moved fast.
Grammar Test 2:
14.	He was 	by her kind words.
15.	Which of the following sentences is grammatically incorrect?
A.	He performed well on the test
B.	He performed good on the test
C.	He performed poorly on the test
D.	He performed adequately on the test
16.	In the following sentence, which is the dependent clause?
A.	We played
B.	Then we had dinner
C.	While we waited
D.	A game
17.	Which of the following sentences is grammatically
correct? “Farther refers to physical distance vs Further refers to an extension of time or degree:
A.	She drove much farther than I did
B.	The campus is further up the road
C.	I will have to consider farther before making a decision
D.	The hospital was further away than he thought 18.Select the best word for the blank in the following sentence.
He thought it was 	than 3 miles to the hospital
19.	The patient wanted to 	down on the bed, but first she had to 	her try of food on the table.
A.	Lie, lay
B.	Lay, lie
C.	Lie, laid
D.	Lain, lying
20.	Which word from the following sentence is a noun? The bird flew across the blue sky.
21.	Which word in the following sentence is a
The little girl wanted a cookie, but she didn’t take one.
22.	Which of the following is a direct object? (affected by the verb)
The nurse helped the patient with the medication
23.	Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?
A.	Walking home from class, the students watched the snow begin to fall.
B.	Walking home from class, the snow began falling on the students
C.	Walking home from class, snow fell on the students.
D.	Walking home from class, the students watched the snow fell.
24.	The student sang well, but she danced
25.	Select the best word for the blank in the following sentence:
The college 	he chose is in New York
26.	Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?
A.	I wanted ice cream; he wanted cake.
B.	I wanted ice cream he wanted cake
C.	I wanted ice cream, he wanted cake.
D.	I wanted ice cream but he wanted cake.
27.	Not only the students but also the professor 	 stunned by the test results.
28.	The pack of wolves 	running through the forest
29.	Which word in the following sentence is grammatically incorrect?
Dr. Jones, who all the patients like, plays the piano well.
30.	Select the sentence that is grammatically correct?
A.	The nurse spoke to my sister and I about our Mother’s condition
B.	The nurse spoke to my sister and me about our Mother’s condition
C.	The nurse spoke to me and my sister about our Mother’s condition
D.	The nurse spoke to I and my sister about our Mother’s condition
31.	Select the word or phrase in the sentence that is not used correctly:
The data confirms that the patient is suffering from extreme anxiety, and a tranquilizing medication is immediately required.
A.	Extreme anxiety
32.	Select the best word for the blank in the following sentence:
I will 	that chart to the patient’s room later today.
33.	Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?
A.	The patient and the nurse knew he could walk
B.	While the patient was walking
C.	The patient, the nurse and the doctor were walking.
D.	Because the patient could walk, he was allowed to leave his room.
34.	Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct? (misplaced modifier).
A.	The child’s torn shirt was laying on the floor
B.	The torn child’s shirt was laying on the floor
C.	The child’s shirt was laying on the floor torn
D.	The child’s shirt torn was laying on the floor 35.What word is used incorrectly in this sentence? The six students in the class discussed the test results between themselves
An apartment is advertised as being furnished. What does this mean?
a.	The first month’s rent must be paid in advance
b.	It is equipped with articles
c.	It has just been repainted
d.	The utility bills are included in the rental cost.
Select the meaning of the underlined word in this sentence
2.	The instructions were concise.
b.	Hard to understand
c.	To the point
d.	Easy to understand
3.	This is an ominous sign.
a.	Without deceit
b.	A good omen
d.	Full of though
4.	The client lost his equilibrium when he woke up.
a.	Ability to sallow
b.	Sense of balance
c.	Ability to speak
d.	Sense of taste
5.	The doctor tried to explain the fundamental difference of the two medications.
6.	The nurse assisted the physician in removing the cast from the Patient’s arm.
a.	Protective device
c.	Medicated salve
7.	The nurse was asked to record the residual urine in the patient’s bladder.
a.	Total volume
c.	Color and clarity
d.	What is left
8.	The patient’s tremors ceased when the medication was administrated.
9.	The dietician instructed the patient to supplement her diet.
b.	Add to
10.A mother called her healthcare provider to report she had discovered a node on her child’s upper arm?
a.	A small rounded mass
b.	Oozing blood
c.	A blister
d.	A reddened area
11.	The nurse reported that patient’s circulation to that foot was occluded.