NUR2520 Psychiatric Nursing Exam #2 Study Guide
Questions and Answers for NUR2520 Psychiatric Nursing Exam #2:
1) In planning care for a suicidal client, which correctly written outcome should be a nurse\'s first priority?
2) A client diagnosed with major depressive disorder with psychotic features hears voices commanding self-harm. The client refuses to commit to developing a plan for safety. What should be the nurses priority intervention at this time?
3) After years of dialysis, an 84-year-old states, Im exhausted, depressed, and done with these attempts to keep me alive. Which question should the nurse ask the spouse when preparing a discharge plan of care?
4) A nursing student is developing a plan of care for a suicidal client. Which documented intervention should the student implement first?
6) Which nursing intervention strategy is most appropriate to implement initially with a suicidal client?
7) A nursing instructor is teaching about specific phobias. Which student statement indicates to the instructor that learning has occurred?
8) A client has a history of excessive fear of water. What is the term that a nurse should use to describe this specific phobia, and under what subtype is this phobia identified?
9) How would a nurse differentiate a client diagnosed with a social phobia from a client diagnosed with a schizoid personality disorder (SPD)?
10) A client refuses to go on a cruise to the Bahamas with his spouse due to fearing that the cruise ship will sink and all will drown. Using a cognitive theory perspective, how should a nurse explain to the spouse the etiology of this fear?
11) A nursing instructor is teaching about the medications used to treat panic disorder. Which student statement indicates that learning has occurred?
12) A client is experiencing a severe panic attack. Which nursing intervention would meet this client\'s physiological need?
14) A client is newly diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder and spends 45 minutes folding clothes and rearranging them in drawers. Which nursing intervention would best address this client\'s problem?
15) A client who is experiencing a panic attack has just arrived at the emergency department. Which is the priority nursing intervention for this client?
18) How should a nurse best describe the major maladaptive client response to panic disorder?
The major maladaptive client response to panic disorder is the perception of having no control over life situations which leads to nonparticipation in decision making and doubts regarding role performance.
20) Studies have suggested that re-experiencing a traumatic event can become an addiction of sorts. The evidence suggests that the reason for this is:
21) A patient being treated for symptoms of PTSD following a shooting incident at a local elementary school reports I feel like there’s no reason to go on living when so many others died. Which of these is the most appropriate response by the nurse at this juncture?
22) Major Smith, who is being treated for PTSD symptoms following a course of military duty, reports, I think I was in denial about even having PTSD. I thought I was just having trouble sleeping. Which of these is an accurate evaluation of the patients comments?
23) Lorraine has been diagnosed with Somatic Symptom Disorder. Which of the following symptom profiles would you expect when assessing Lorraine?
24) Which are examples of primary and secondary gains that clients diagnosed with SSD: predominately pain, may experience?
25) A nursing instructor is teaching about the etiology of dissociative disorders from a psychoanalytical perspective. What student statement about clients diagnosed with this disorder indicates that learning has occurred?
26) An inpatient client is newly diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID) stemming from severe childhood sexual abuse. Which nursing intervention takes priority?
27) A client diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID) switches personalities when confronted with destructive behavior. The nurse recognizes that this dissociation serves which function?
28) Why are behavior modification programs the treatment of choice for clients diagnosed with eating disorders?
29) Family dynamics are thought to be a major influence in the development of anorexia nervosa. Which information related to a client\'s home environment should a nurse associate with the development of this disorder?
30) A potential Olympic figure skater collapses during practice and is hospitalized for severe malnutrition. Anorexia nervosa is diagnosed. Which client statement best reflects the underlying etiology of this disorder?
32) A client diagnosed with bulimia nervosa has been attending a mental health clinic for several months. Which factor should a nurse identify as an appropriate indicator of a positive client behavioral change?
33) A nurse is seeing a client in an outpatient clinic for treatment of anorexia nervosa. Which is the most appropriate, correctly written short-term outcome for this client?
36) A nurse working with a client diagnosed with bulimia nervosa asks the client to recall a time in life when food could be consumed without purging. Which is the purpose of this nursing intervention?
37) A client diagnosed with anorexia nervosa stopped eating 5 months ago and lost 25% of total body weight. Which subjective client response would the nurse assess to support this medical diagnosis?
38) During an assessment interview, a client diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder spits, curses, and refuses to answer questions. Which is the appropriate nursing response to this behavior?
39) At 11:00 p.m. a client diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder demands to phone a lawyer to file for a divorce. Unit rules state that no phone calls are permitted after 10:00 p.m. Which nursing response is most appropriate?
40) During an interview, which client statement should indicate to a nurse a potential diagnosis of schizotypal personality disorder?
41) When planning care for a client diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, which self-harm behavior should a nurse expect the client to exhibit?
42) Which nursing diagnosis should be prioritized when providing nursing care to a client diagnosed with paranoid personality disorder?
43) The nurse should recognize which factors that distinguish personality disorders from psychosis?
44) Which client statement would demonstrate a common characteristic of Cluster \"B\" personality disorder?
SELECT ALL THAT APPLY
45) After a teenager reveals that he is gay, the father responds by beating him. The next morning, the teenager is found hanging in his closet. Which paternal emotions should a nurse anticipate? (Select all that apply.)
46) A nurse is admitting a client who has been diagnosed with PTSD. Which of the following symptoms might the nurse expect to assess? (Select all that apply.)
47) An adult male has sought counseling at a community mental health center for PTSD. He reports during assessment that he witnessed the murder of a close friend last year in a random, drive-by shooting in his neighborhood. Since this loss he has had recurrent nightmares, explosive episodes, and frequently incapacitating anxiety. Which of the following nursing diagnoses would be appropriate, based on this assessment data? Select all that apply.
48) Joe, a patient being treated for PTSD, tells the nurse that his therapist is recommending cognitive therapy. He asks the nurse how that\'s supposed to help his nightmares. Which of these responses by the nurse provides accurate information about the benefits of this type of therapy? Select all that apply.
49) A nurse should identify topiramate (Topamax) as the drug of choice for which of the following conditions? (Select all that apply.)