Sophia_Human_Biology_Milestone_1 / Sophia_Human_Biology_Milestone_1 (2020)
You passed this Milestone
18 questions were answered correctly.
5 questions were answered incorrectly.
Which of the following statements about glycolysis is true?
● It is the last stage of cellular respiration.
● It utilizes a molecule of glucose to produce three ATP.
● It is an anaerobic process.
● Phosphorylation halts the process when ATP levels get too low.
How many turns of the Krebs cycle are required to break down one molecule of
Which organelle is mainly responsible for synthesizing proteins?
● Golgi body● Smooth ER
● Nuclear envelope
Which of the following describes an organic compound?
● A compound that cannot be broken down by the cell
● A compound made up of carbohydrates
● A compound that contains the element carbon
● A compound found only in eukaryotic cells
Which of the following statements is true?
● Diffusion is the movement of molecules across a plasma membrane, regardless
of concentration gradient.
● Diffusion is the movement of molecules from an area of low concentration to an
area of high concentration.
● Diffusion requires ATP to function.
● Diffusion is the movement of molecules from an area of high concentration to an
area of low concentration.
Which of the following statements is true?
● Prokaryotic cells don't have a nucleus, but they still have a plasma membrane
that separates their DNA from their cytoplasm.● All cells are made up of smaller cells.
● Eukaryotic cells don't have a nucleus but often have a flagella.
● In all cells, the plasma membrane controls what enters and exits.
Which of the following statements about enzymes is true?
● Salivary amylase is an example of an enzyme that breaks down starch.
● Enzymes convert products into substrates.
● The chemical make-up of an enzyme changes with each time it is used.
● Enzymes can either speed up or slow down chemical reactions in the body.
Which is a component of cellular respiration?
● ATP breakdown
● Facilitated diffusion
What is true about the electron transport chain (ETC)?
● Most ATP is produced during this step of cellular respiration.
● A build-up of potassium on the inner membrane of the cell causes a gradient
which leads to the production of ATP.● The electron transport chain takes place in the nucleus of the cell.
● Only products from the Krebs cycle are utilized in the electron transport chain.
Electron Transport Chain
In which kind of cells is the Golgi body found?
● Only eukaryotic cells
● All cells
● Only prokaryotic cells
● Some eukaryotic and some prokaryotic cells
Which of the following is a component of cell membranes and includes a hydrophilic
head, a glycerol backbone and two fatty acid tails?
● Fatty acids
● Nucleic acids
A tonicity with a high concentration of solutes is said to be _________.
● hypotonic● selectively permeable
Chris is trying to determine whether the brand of coffee he drinks has an impact on his
Which of the following could be his prediction?
● "I predict that I'll be more productive on days when I drink Coffee A."
● "I notice that I'm more productive on days when I drink Coffee A."
● "I propose that Coffee A somehow boosts my productivity."
● "Based on many tests, I realize that Coffee A does not actually boost my
What role do sensory receptors play in feedback loops to maintain homeostasis?
● Reverse the effects of stimuli
● Detect stimuli
● Respond to stimuli
● Interpret stimuli
15Which of the following is a characteristic of the nucleus?
● It is not found in eukaryotic cells.
● It houses the cell's DNA.
● It is a pocket in the cell's plasma membrane that houses DNA.
● It is a double membrane that surrounds the nuclear envelope.
Which of the following is part of a nucleotide?
● Amino acid
Where is cytosol found?
● Inside the nucleus
● Surrounding the cell
● Between the two layers of the plasma membrane
● In the cytoplasm
Select the statement that is TRUE regarding metabolism.● In catabolism, complex carbs, proteins and other molecules are disassembled.
● In anabolism, polysaccharides are turned into monosaccharides.
● In anabolism, complex carbs, proteins and other molecules are disassembled.
● In catabolism, glucose is combined to form a complex carbohydrate.
Which of the following characteristics is shared by all organisms?
● Cycles of consciousness and sleep
● The ability to grow and reproduce
● Being made up of multiple cells
● Division into multiple sexes
At what level of protein structure do amino acids continue to twist and fold, forming a
What type of lipid is made up of a glycerol molecule and three fatty acid side chains?
● Triglyceride● Sterol
● Saturated fat
Which of the following sources of information is most credible?
● An article in the science section of a local newspaper
● An article in a popular magazine
● An article written for the school paper by a science teacher
● An article in a peer-reviewed journal
What molecules in the cell membrane help move molecules from a low to a high
● Diffusion pumps
● Transport proteins