community B 2020
A community health nurse observes the accumulation of garbage at a neighborhood playground. Which of the following actions should the nurse take to promote a clean and safe environment?
•	Work with local businesses to sponsor more trash receptacles in the playground
•	Meet with community members to discuss methods of playground maintenance
•	 Partner City officials with community members to improve the playgrounds condition
•	Engage neighborhood families to monitor the playground for further trash build up
2.Nurse is planning the initial home visit for a client who has dementia and lives with his adult Sons family. Which of the following actions should the nurse take first during the visit?
•	 Educate the family regarding the progression of dementia
•	 engage the family in informal conversation
•	 provide the family with information about respite care
•	 encourage the family to join a support group
3.A community health nurse is providing teaching to a group of clients who have alcohol use disorder. Which of the following findings should the nurse include in the teaching as a manifestation of alcohol withdrawal?
•	 increased appetite
4.A nurse is counseling a client who is to undergo enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay testing for HIV. Which of the following information should the nurse include?
•	The test measures antibodies to the virus
•	 the test results are accurate 24 hours after exposure to the virus
•	 a positive result requires initiating immunoglobulin Administration
•	 the test monitors progression of the disease
5.A nurse is working with a Community Health Care team to devise strategies for preventing violence in the community. Which of the following interventions is example of tertiary prevention?
•	Assessing for risk factors of intimate partner abuse during Health examinations
•	 presenting Community Education programs about Stress Management
•	 Urging community leaders to make nonviolence a priority
•	Developing resources for victims of abuse
6.A faith-based organization ask a community health nurse to develop on mobile meal program for older adults who are no longer driving. Which of the following actions should the nurse plan to take first?
•	 perform a needs assessment
•	 inquire about the availability of volunteers
•	 identify alternative solutions to address concerns
•	 determine potential funding sources for the program
7.A nurse is planning a primary prevention strategy for reducing obesity in the community. Which of the following strategies should the nurse use?
•	 Educate children at a daycare about nutrition and exercise
•	 measure the BMI of older adults at a community Senior Center
•	 encourage enrollment and attendance at weight reduction programs
•	 distribute health risk appraisal questionnaires at Community functions
8.Several nurses are developing a parish nurse group to help adjust the primary and secondary health care needs of a congregation. Which of the following Services should the nurses plan to provide to the congregation?
1. provide end-of-life care for members who are terminal
2. perform wound care in the home of members
3. facilitate discharge from the facility to the home
4. organize an influenza immunization clinic with American Red Cross
9. A nurse is conducting a community assessment. Which of the following information should the nurse include as part of the windshield survey?
1. Demographic data
2. housing quality
3. informant interviews
4. mortality rates
10.A client who has diabetes mellitus asks a home health nurse to help her adapt some of her traditional cultural foods to fit her meal plan. Which of the following is the first action the nurse should take when assisting this client?
1. Explain the diabetes exchange list
2. use cookbooks to include traditional foods and meal plans
3. observe the client during preparation of traditional foods
4. provide the client with printed recipes
11. A school nurse is implementing Health screenings. Which of the following assessment findings should the nurse recognize as the highest priority?
1. A child who has nits
2. An Adolescent who has scoliosis
3. and Adolescent who has psoriasis
4. a child who has a BMI of 18
12. The first response team is working at the location of a bombing incident. The nurse triaging a group of clients should give treatment priority to which of the following clients?
1. A client who has a femur fracture with a 2 pedal pulse
2. a client who has a rigid abdomen With manifestations of shock
3. a client who has superficial partial thickness burn injuries over 5% of his body
4. a client who is ambulatory and Exhibits manic behavior
13. A 35 year old client who has a diagnosis of tuberculosis informs the provider's office that she is unable to pay for the treatment. Which of the following actions by the nurse will facilitate obtaining appropriate treatment?
1. Explore options for alternative Therapies
2. arrange for medication through local agencies
3. send the clients to the nearest facility for further evaluation
4. help the client apply for Medicare
14 A home health nurses scheduled for first-time visit to a client. Which of the following should the nurse perform first?
1. Mental status examination
2. review of the neighborhood
3. family history
4. blood pressure screening
15. A nurse is working in a shelter following a disaster. Which of the following is the priority action for the nurse to take?
1. Explore feelings the clients are experiencing
2. create diversionary activities for children
3. help clients gather needed supplies
4. address the physical needs of clients
16 A community health nurse is educating up here in about the importance of hepatitis B immunization. Which of the following explanations should the nurse give to a parent about the disease?
1. People who have had hepatitis B infection still need the immunization
2. Hepatitis B spreads easily among children through casual contact
3. many people who acquire acute hepatitis B develop chronic hepatitis
4. One dose of the immunization gives children life-long protection from hepatitis B
17.A nurse at a community clinic is preparing an educational guide about cultural variances and expression of pain. Which of the following information should the nurse include?
1. Native American Cultural practices include being outspoken about pain
2. Chinese Cultural practice include and during pain to prevent family dishonor
3.. Puerto Rican cultural practices include the view that outspoken expressions of pain are shameful
4. Middle Eastern cultural practices include hiding pain from close family members
18. A nurse is providing education to the family of a school-age child who has pertussis. Which of the following information should the nurse include in the teaching?
1. Household contacts will receive prophylactic antibiotics
2. transmission will be limited because of the herd immunity
3. the child is most contagious after the rash develops
4. a dehumidifier should be placed beside the child's bed
19 A partner of an older client who has Alzheimer's disease reports that he is not eating. The home health aide tells the nurse that the clients partner refuses to assist a client with feeding. The partner and sister client feed himself without help. Which of the following is the priority action the nurse should take?
1. refer the clients partner to an Alzheimer's support group
2. direct the home health aide to assist with meals
3. determine the client's ability to self-feed
4. arrange for meals-on-wheels assistance
20. A community nurse is planning a smoking cessation class. Which of the following factors will have the greatest effect on the success of the class?
1. Client education level
2. presenters teaching strategies
3. presenters credibility
4. clients motivation
21 A nurse is planning a program about healthy eating at an elementary school where most students select French fries and pizza at lunch every day. Which of the following actions should the nurse plan to take first?
1. Provide students with resources about making wise choices independently
2. help students recognize the value of making healthy food choices
3. give positive feedback to students who make appropriate choices
4. determined students motivation to learn about healthy food choices
22. A community health nurse is caring for clients in a culturally diverse Community. Which of the following actions demonstrates accurate cultural knowledge about a specific cultural group?
1. Maintaining eye contact when interviewing a Native American client
2. including both hot and cold food items on a Hispanic client menu
3. touching the hair of an African American client during an assessment
4. offering to shake hands when meeting an Asian client of the opposite gender
23 A nurse is discussing short and long-term goals with a client who has alcohol use disorder and is being admitted to a treatment facility. Which of the following statements is appropriate for the nurse to include in the discussion?
1. Attending Al-Anon meetings will help you identify role model to assist you with making needed changes
2. remaining Physically Active will help minimize drowsiness and chills associated with initial alcohol withdrawal
3. you will begin learning functional skills to replace defense mechanisms and behaviors while in treatment
4. you will be taking a once weekly dose of disulfiram to help control withdrawal symptoms during treatment
24 A public health nurse is addressing Community leaders at a forum about Community Improvement. The nurse should identify which of the following groups as being the fastest moving segment of the homeless population?
1. Families who have children
2. men who are unemployed
3. adolescent Runaways
4. people who have substance use disorders
25. A nurse case manager is providing discharge planning for a client. The nurse is functioning in which of the following roles when arranging for the delivery of medical equipment to the clients home.
4 systems allocators
26. A nurse at a local Health Department is caring for several clients. Which of the following infection should the nurse report to the State Health Department?
1. Herpes simplex virus
2. Group B streptococcus b hemolytic
4 human papillomavirus
27. A nurse manager in a local community health agency is creating job description for a new nurse who will practice community-oriented nursing. Which of the following should the nurse include in the job description? Select all that apply
1. provide wound care for clients in their homes
2. participate in local Health surveillance activities
3. initiate support groups for parents of autistic children
4. provide health-related education to community groups
5. Investigate potential health and environmental issues
28. The community health nurse is interviewing a client who reports intimate partner abuse. Which of the following actions should the nurse take?
1. Assist the client to create a plan of Escape
2. ask 3 nurses of the same gender as the client to participate in the interview
3. communicate disapproval of the partners actions
4.. record a summary of the clients description of the event
29. A nurse is caring for a client who is having difficulty performing activities of daily living. The nurse is functioning in which of the following rules when arranging for an occupational therapist to visit the client?
2. nurse consultant
3. case manager
30. A nurse in a mobile Health Clinic is caring for a client who requires a tetanus immunization and is accompanied by his daughter. The client does not speak the same language as the nurse. Which of the following actions should the nurse take?
1. Arrange for the member of the client’s community to interpret the teaching
2. identify the clients spoken dialect prior to contacting an interpreter
3. have the clients daughter communicate information about the procedure
4. use professional terminology when providing education prior to the procedure
31. An occupational health nurse is discussing health promotion with a client who has a history of obesity. Which of the following comments indicates the client is using rationalization as a coping mechanism?
1. I am obese because it is in my genes
2. I have difficulty resisting the items in vending machines
3. I know you don't like me because I am obese
4. I have lots of health problems from being obese
32. A home health nurse is caring for a client who has chemotherapy induced nausea that has been resistant to relief from pharmacological measures. Which of the following interventions should the nurse initiate?
1. Assist the client and using guided imagery
2. maintain the head of the bed in the elevated position after eating
3. provide steps of room temperature ginger ale between meals
4. offer 120 ml of cold 2% milk as a meal replacement
5. using seasonings to enhance the flavor of foods
33. A parish nurse is counseling a family following a client's recent diagnosis for heart disease. Which of the following actions should the nurse take first?
1. Discuss the benefits of eating a well-balanced diet with the client's family
2. assist the client and the clients partner with finding an affordable exercise program
3. Ask family members about the impact of the disease and relationships within the family
4. offer to accompany the client and the client partner during healthcare provider visits
34. A school nurse is playing safety education for a group of adolescents. The nurse should give priority to which of the following topics as the leading cause of death for this age group?
1. Sports Injury prevention
2. Motor Vehicle Safety
3. gun safety
4. Substance Abuse Prevention
35. A nurse is serving on a state task force for disaster planning. The nurse is engaging a disaster preparedness effort when performing which of the following actions?
1. Organizing a mass casualty drill for community members
2. function as a manager at a temporary shelter
3. assisting with the identification of a biological agent
4. implementing a disaster triage plan with local medical facility
36. During a home health visit, a school-age child who has muscular dystrophy confides in the nurse that he was struck by his parent. Which of the following actions should the nurse take first?
1. Enroll the parent and anger management classes
2. check the child for injuries
3. report the incident to the local authorities
4. refer the parent to a Social Service Agency
37. A nurse is preparing an educational program about breastfeeding for a group of new parents. The nurse should use which of the following is structural strategies to promote psychomotor learning?
1. facilitated Discussion Group about the benefits of breastfeeding
2. provide dolls for the participants to demonstrate positioning
3. show the group of video on breastfeeding techniques
4. review flashcards identify holding techniques with the group
38. A Community Health Clinic nurse manager is reviewing the incidence rate of chlamydia in the state. In a given year 3144 new cases were reported and the population was estimated at . Which of the following is the incidence rate in the state for the year?
1. about 10 reported cases per 1000 population
2. about three reported cases per 10,000 population
3. about 300 reported cases per 100,000 population
4. about one reported case per 10,000 population
39. An occupational health nurse is assisting agricultural workers for acute effects of pesticide exposure. Which of the following findings should the nurse expect?
40 The nurses working with the case manager for a client who participates in the health maintenance organization. The nurse should identify that the health maintenance organization provides which of the following payment structures?
1. The client is participating a fee for service healthcare insurance program
2. the provider is paid a fixed sum for the client on a monthly basis or yearly basis
3. the client pays the insurer of percentage of the total cost for each service rendered by the provider
4. to provide our bills the client directly for predetermined percentage of the cost of services
41. A newly-hired occupational health nurse is assisting hazards in the work environment. Which of the following actions will help the nurse detect potential physical hazards?
1. identify industrial toxins that are present in the environment
2. survey workers about job-related emotional stress
3. track rates of illness caused by infection among employees
4. measure noise levels at various locations in the facility
42. My client arrives at a mental health clinic and tells the nurse she has no purpose in life. Which of the following is the nurses priority response?
1. How long have you been feeling this way?
2. Tell me what is going on with you right now
3. do you really think your life has no purpose?
4. Have you been thinking about harming yourself?
43. In the last month, three cases of tuberculosis have been referred to the health department. Which of the following is a priority information for the community health nurse to obtain from each client?
1. Household members
2. health history
44. A nurse is assessing an outbreak of mumps among school-age children. Using that epidemiological triangle, The nurse should recognize that which of the following is the host?
1. The virus
2. the vaccine
3. the children
4. the school
45 A nurse is working in an infectious disease clinic is caring for a client who has a new diagnosis of lyme disease. Which of the following agencies is responsible for voluntarily reporting cases of the disease to the Center for Disease Control and prevention?
1. State Health Department
2. Office of the Surgeon General
3. local Red Cross chapter
4. hospital infection control Department
46. A nurse is providing education to a group of adolescents who are pregnant and attending High School. Which of the following information should the nurse include in the teaching?
1. The incidence of higher birth weight infants is higher in adolescent pregnancy
2. pregnant adolescents need to gain less weight than adult mothers
3. Caffeinated beverages should be replaced with caffeine-free beverages
4 the need for supplemental folic acid is greatest during the third trimester
47 A nurse is caring for a client who is homeless. Which of the following actions should the nurse take first?
1. Develop client teaching using a variety of strategies
2. discuss the risks of being homeless with the client
3. determine the client's understanding of her living situation
4. assist the client to develop goals for obtaining shelter
48. A nurse is working to reduce individual and family violence in the local community. Which of the following actions by the nurse demonstrates a primary prevention strategy to achieve this goal?
1. Assessing a family for marital Discord
2. providing treatment for a young adult who has substance use disorder
3. teaching parenting techniques to new parents
4. conducting counseling for at-risk parents
49. A community health nurse is providing screening for lipid disorders. Which of the following is the primary goal of this activity?
1. Client enrollment and prevention programs
2. early detection of disease
3. identification of family history of medical problems
4. promotion of appropriate Lifestyle Changes
50. A nurse is providing teaching to a 50 year old female client. Which of the following statements should the nurse include in the teaching?
1. You should have a complete eye examination every two years until the age of 64
2. you should have your fasting blood glucose level checked every 6 years
3. you should have your hearing screened every 5 years
4. you should have your stool tested for blood every other year until the age of 74
51. A community health nurse is planning a program for adolescents about preventing STIs. Which of the following actions should the nurse take first?
1.Establish methods to evaluate program outcomes
2. obtain visual aids that feature adolescence
3. provide computer based education
4. collect data to identify barriers to learning
52. A community health nurse is planning an educational program for a group of women who are post menopausal. which of the following outcomes is appropriate for this program?
1. Clients will schedule bone density screens
2. clients will start hormone replacement therapy
3. clients will arrange for a mammogram every 3 years
4. clients will significantly decrease caloric intake
53. A home health nurse manager is caring for a client who has methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. Which of the following actions should the nurse take?
1. remove fresh flowers from the clients room
2. double bag soil dressing in polyethylene bags
3. wear a mask when within 3 feet of the client
4. Advise the client to use a HEPA filter in the house
54. A nurse is counseling a client who has a new diagnosis of chlamydia. Which of the following information should the nurse include in teaching?
1. Notify anyone with whom you had sexual contact over the past 2 months
2. you might experience painful urination until the infection has resolved
3. once you complete treatment, you'll have an acquired immunity against chlamydia
4. you will need to take an antiviral medication for 30 days
5. you should avoid sexual contact until therapy is complete
55. A community health nurse working with a group of homeless veterans who has post-traumatic stress disorder. Which of the following interventions should the nurse implement?
1. Change the meeting sites frequently
2. teach the clients to practice deep breathing exercises
3. provide coffee and snacks during the meetings
4. avoid discussing the traumatic events experienced by the veterans
56 A clinic nurse is assessing a client who has the measles. Which of the following findings should the nurse expect?
1. Muscle aches and tenderness
2. persistent low-grade temperature
3. rash confined to the trunk of the body
4. koplik spots inside the mouth
57. A nurse at a shelter assisting with client triage after tornado destroyed a community. Which of the following clients should receive Priority Care?
1. A school-age client who has a head abrasion
2. an adult client who is short of breath
3. an infant client who is crying
4. an older adult client who has a fractured arm
58. A nurse is triaging clients who were involved in a commuter train crash. Which of the following clients should the nurse choose for transport to the emergency department first?
1. A client who has a fracture of the humerus with a 2 radial pulse in the affected arm
2. and ambulatory client who has a nosebleed and reports feeling dizzy
3. A client who has full thickness burn injury over 30% of his total body surface area
4. a client who is exhibiting agonal respirations with fixed dilated pupils
59. A government official reports to the health department that an employee was possibly exposed to Anthrax. Which of the following actions should the public health nurse take?
1. Refer co-workers who might have been exposed to a provider for prophylactic antibiotics
2. Alert all of the family members of co-workers about their possible exposure to anthrax
3. instruct the client to wear a mask at work
4. place the employee under quarantine for 14 days
60. A home health nurse is visiting a client who has had a stroke 2 months ago. Which of the following findings should the nurse report to the interprofessional care team?
1. the client Bears weight on her arms when using the crutches
2. the clients caregiver bills a pill organizer weekly
3. the client coughs when swallowing her medications
4. the client dresses her affected side first