Question 1 (3 points)
Match the composer to the composition.
Question 1 options:
Juan Gutiérrez de Padilla
1. "A la xácara xacarilla"
2. "Villancico a 6 al príncipe de la iglesia, el señor San Pedro"
3. "A negrito de Cucurumbé"
Question 2 (4 points)
Match the perfomer(s) to the song.
Question 2 options:
Crescencio M. García
Capilla Virreinal de la Nueva España
Schola Cantorum Mexico
2. Kyrie from Missa Ego Flos Campi
3. "Xicochi, xicochi conetzintle"
4. "Son de la Danza de los Mixes"
Question 3 (8 points)
Match the musical genre with its description.
Question 3 options:
1. A ballad song and precursor to the corrido that speaks on the subjects of love, power, and intrigue
2. Music written for the Catholic church service according to particular "ordinary" and "proper" sections
3. A song and dance form not intended for church used to highlight festivities and celebrations
4. Music created with popular melodies and dance rhythms used in religious services in an effort to include more people
5. Villancico with African influences, such as in language, rhythms, and instrumentation
6. A wind band musical form used for sacred purposes, translating to "hymn" or "anthem," which praises God in a religious context, although is also used for nationalistic purposes in other contexts
7. A wind band musical form translated as "sacred dance songs" used for spiritual devotion and demonstrating indigenous musical elements with those of Europe
8. Ritual dance-drama accompanying many festivals that demonstrates indigenous spiritual practices with adopted Christian beliefs
Question 4 (3 points)
Match the characteristic of the Danzas de Conquista with its probable source.
Question 4 options:
Use of wind and percussion instruments only
Using musical notation
Using dance steps in the form of a cross or the cardinal directions
2. Spanish Influence
3. Mestizaje (or Mixed Elements)
Question 5 (1 point)
What genre mixes Spanish and other native languages for secular and sacred celebrations?
Question 5 options:
Question 6 (1 point)
What term is used to identify native-born descendants of Spaniards?
Question 6 options:
Question 7 (1 point)
A primary difference between the Danza de los Concheros and the Danza Azteca (or Danza Mexica) is the use of the concha, a stringed instrument of obvious Spanish influence.
Question 7 options:
Question 8 (1 point)
The Mixes are an indigenous language group with a presence in the highlands of the state of Jalisco.
Question 8 options:
Question 9 (1 point)
Moros y Cristianos is a type of religious dance-drama originally used by the Spaniards to convert native Mexicans to Christianity.
Question 9 options:
Avoid resits and achieve higher grades with the best study guides, textbook notes, and class notes written by your fellow students.
With the study guides and notes written by fellow students, you are guaranteed to be properly prepared for your exams. Over 350,000 specific notes are at your disposal. Your fellow students know exactly where the pitfalls lie and what the key elements will be to your success in that module. With their assistance, you can become well prepared and can avoid having to retake exams.
Get better grades
Thanks to the study guides written by fellow students specifically for your courses, you will never miss a trick when it comes to your exams. No generic book summaries, but the specific content you need to ace your exams.
Earn while you study
Have you written lots of study guides or notes? Earn hundreds of dollars each month by selling your written material to your fellow students. Last year students earned over $ 500,000 from selling their work to other students.