1. A manager's role is that of "information processor," whereas a leader's role is:
to communicate the big picture --- the vision.
to serve as a communication champion.
to communicate written information, facts, and dat
both to communicate the big picture --- the vision and to serve as a communication champion.
2. Being a good listener expands a leader's role in the eyes of others because of all EXCEPT:
o active listening is an ongoing part of a leader's communication.
o total attention is focused on the message.
o a leader concentrates on what to say next rather than on what is being sai
o a good listener finds areas of interest, affirms others, and builds trust.
Discernment involves all EXCEPT:
detecting unarticulated messages hidden below the surface.
paying attention to patterns and relationships.
listening carefully for undercurrents that have yet to emerge.
trying to convince others to agree with a point of view.
4. Messages transmitted through action and behavior are called:
Face-to-face communication can be described as:
the richest form of communication.
the poorest form of communication.
impersonal one-way communication.
having slow feedback.
The sender (such as a leader) initiates a communication by _____________ a thought or idea
creating “noise” around
7. The guidelines for using email effectively include:
Don’t act like a newspaper reporter.
Say anything negative about a boss, friend, or colleague.
Keep e-mail messages short and to the point.
Use e-mail to start or perpetuate a feud
A team has all the following components EXCEPT:
Teams share a goal.
Teams have individual "stars."
Teams are made up of two or more people.
Teams work together regularly.
The "storming" stage of team development is characterized by:
conflict and disagreement.
establishment of order and cohesion.
cooperation and problem solving.
Team types do NOT include:
11. Using a third party to settle a dispute is:
The __________________ reflects a high degree of both assertiveness and cooperativeness.
_______________ is the tendency of people in cohesive groups to suppress contrary opinions.
Interactive leaders tend to be:
reluctant to share power.
Ethnocentrism is the belief that:
one's culture and subculture are inherently superior to other cultures.
all cultures have value.
everyone in the organization has the same values, beliefs, and motivations.
everyone in the organization has the same attitudes about work and life.
The invisible bar that separates women and minorities from top leadership jobs is called:
the glass ceiling.
17. When a leader and company act out prejudicial attitudes toward people who are the targets of their prejudice, _________ has occurred.
18. ____________is designed to help people become aware of their own biases, become sensitive to and open to people different from themselves, and learn skills for communicating and working effectively in a diverse workplace.
When workers admire a supervisor because of her personal characteristics, the influence is based on:
20. If Paul, a salesman, does not perform as well as expected, his supervisor can put a negative letter in his file. This is an example of:
21. The levels of the Domain of Strategic Leadership include all EXCEPT:
22. The levels of the Domain of Strategic Leadership include all EXCEPT:
23. To determine strategic direction for the future, leaders do all EXCEPT:
use SWOT analysis.
consider trends in technology.
develop industry foresight.
use the Hersey and Blanchard Situational Theory model.
24. Situation analysis includes a search for SWOT which includes all EXCEPT:
25. Mission answers the question:
Where are we headed?
Who are we as an organization?
What are our weaknesses?
What is our situation?
Avoid resits and achieve higher grades with the best study guides, textbook notes, and class notes written by your fellow students.
With the study guides and notes written by fellow students, you are guaranteed to be properly prepared for your exams. Over 350,000 specific notes are at your disposal. Your fellow students know exactly where the pitfalls lie and what the key elements will be to your success in that module. With their assistance, you can become well prepared and can avoid having to retake exams.
Get better grades
Thanks to the study guides written by fellow students specifically for your courses, you will never miss a trick when it comes to your exams. No generic book summaries, but the specific content you need to ace your exams.
Earn while you study
Have you written lots of study guides or notes? Earn hundreds of dollars each month by selling your written material to your fellow students. Last year students earned over $ 500,000 from selling their work to other students.