Test Bank Davis Advantage for Fundamentals Of Nursing
Chapter 1. Evolution of Nursing Thought & Action
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
____ 1. The nurse is working in a community health promotion clinic. Which is an
example of an illness prevention activity?
1. Encouraging the use of a food diary
2. Joining a cancer support group
3. Administering immunization for human papillomavirus (HPV)
4. Teaching a diabetic patient about his diet
____ 2. A practicing nurse is aware that continuing education courses may be
required for license renewal. Which organization can require nurses to obtain a
specified amount of continuing education courses?
1. American Nurses Association
2. National League for Nursing
3. Sigma Theta Tau
4. State Board of Nursing
____ 3. An experienced nurse uses knowledge of patient medical conditions and
intuition to identify patient problems. The nurse often fulfills the role of a resource for
other nurses on the unit. At this point, which stage of proficiency has this nurse
2. Advanced beginner
____ 4. Which statement best explains the importance of standards of practice in
the nursing profession?
1. Nurses have the same standards of practice as other healthcare professionals.
2. Standards of practice are applied exclusively to nurses working in hospital settings.
3. Standards of practice identify the components nurses need to provide safe care.
4. Standards of practice differ among registered nurses, based on the population they
____ 5. The nursing instructor is considering becoming a member of the National
League for Nursing (NLN). Which primary goal of the NLN will most strongly impact the
nurse’s decision to become a member?